If you have a car that you aren’t yet ready to part with but you also don’t drive that often, you may be ready to put your car in storage. Before placing your car in storage there are some things you should do to make sure your car stays in great condition.
Getting Your Car Ready for Storage
- Clean It – The first thing you will want to do is have your car washed. You may also want it polished and waxed. Before driving it into the storage unit make sure it is completely dry and there is no debris, mud or grease.
- Have an Oil Change Done – If you are storing your vehicle longer than a month it is a good idea to get the oil changed. Used engine oil can often have contaminants, these can do damage to your car’s engine while it is stored.
- Fill Up the Gas Tank – Filling up your car’s gas tank can help prevent moisture from building up and accumulating inside the tank. It will also keep seals from drying out. Think about adding a fuel stabilizer to your gas tank too.
- Start or Drive Your Car Often – You will want to at least start the car every two weeks. By keeping the cars battery charged your car will be ready to pull out of storage when you need it. If you leave the battery to sit without starting it, the battery will lose its charge.
- Take off the Parking Brake – Look for a flat pad to store your car on and don’t use the parking brake. When the parking brake is constantly engaged there is a chance that the pads and rotors may fuse together. If you are worried about your car moving, use a chock.
- Keep Critters Away – Take a proactive approach to keeping critters away from your car by laying out traps in the storage unit. You can also use mothballs or cotton swabs with peppermint oil.
- Use a Cover – Even if your car is in a storage garage, using a cover can help keep your car in great condition. If your car is being stored outside, be sure to use a weatherproof car cover!
Once your car is ready you will need a secure place to store it. The team at Self Storage of Windsor can help. We offer a range of different storage options to suit your budget. You can be assured that your car is secure and protected from the elements till you are ready to drive it again. Contact the team at Self Storage Windsor today to learn more about our car storage options.
This blog originally appeared on Self Storage of Windsor’s blog at http://selfstorageofwindsor.com/storing-car-no-longer-use/.