Moving out of state is not that much more difficult than moving across town but does require careful planning. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to visit your new location before the move to see firsthand the area you will be living in. If you are unable to do so, remember the Internet is a great resource for information on housing and the surrounding community in general. Consider renting rather than buying if you must commit to a place sight unseen.
A couple of months before your move decide whether you will need the assistance of a professional moving company and contact several to get free quotes. Check out reviews on the companies and only use one that has a favorable reputation. Cost will be based on the total weight and volume of all the household goods and furniture you are moving. Purge what you don’t need. Remember never pack personal documents or valuables in a moving van but keep them with you.
Things to get organized before the move:
- Give yourself plenty of time to shop around for the best insurance rates for the new area and set-up your auto and home owners/renter’s coverage.
- Notify the post office and all creditors of your address change. Do the same for magazine subscriptions.
- Take care of utilities – cancel for your old place and set up for the new one.
- Do some research (again the Internet is a good place to start) regarding schools in the area as well as doctors, dentists, and convenient shopping.
- Transfer or close bank accounts and remove items from safety deposit boxes.
- If needed, make travel arrangements for your pets.
- Remember most states will require you to get a new driver’s license and car registration tags so locate a nearby office.
- If you are moving into temporary housing, you may want to use a self storage facility for items that are not required until you are more permanently located.
- Be sure to notify the moving company as soon as possible regarding any damages that may have occurred during the move.
Abba Self Storage Units is a locally owned and operated self storage business in Concord, CA, with easy access to HWYs 680/4 and 242. We provide secure, clean, mini and large storage units as well as over 300 paved RV, auto, and boat storage spaces. Abba Self Storage is conveniently located for the Bay Area including the surrounding communities of Pleasant Hill, Pittsburg, Martinez, Pacheco and Concord self storage customers.